Thursday, January 25, 2007

Rotor Q Rings test Results

After taking a couple of weeks to let my legs adjust to the Q Rings (I didn't notice any difference after about 10 minutes), I've performed another 10.66-mile time trial (the first one with circular rings was on December 19th). I saw a 6-watt increase in average power over the prior time-trial. December 19 - 235 watts; January 24th - 241 watts (a 2.5% increase).

That's not enough for me to continue using the Q-Rings. My decision is based on the following reasons:

  1. 2.5% is within the range of expected accuracy of my Ergomo power meter.
  2. As shown in the graphs below, my improvement came primarily in the last one third of the time trial, which is probably a result of increase stamina and training effect from long rides in Macon over the 5-week period, and not from the Q-rings.
  3. Most of the Q-Ring studies that I have read found an increased average power of between 4 and 10 percent. I realized from the beginning that they might not be beneficial for everyone who tried them, I was just hoping I was someone who could benefit -- evidently not.
  4. If I decided to use Q-Rings, I'd need to place them on my time trial bike, my computrainer bike, and maybe my tandem. I'd need to see a pretty significant result to be worth all that.
  5. Although the shifting wasn't a big problem, it's less smooth than with circular rings.
This graph is a smoothed plot of my December 19th time trial. Notice the decay in power in middle and toward the end of the ride:















This graph is a smoothed plot of my January 24th time trial. The power is pretty consistent throughout the ride, even though I tried no new pacing strategy:




1 Comment:

The Unconventional Wealth Seeker said...

Did you look at your power meter during the ride? If so perhaps a better test would have been to cover the readout and pace "as you feel". What about HR or PE? I guess at least it didn't decrease your performance.