Sunday, October 18, 2009

2010 Annual Training Plan

Here's my plan for 2010. Those of you familiar with various popular training approaches will recognize this training philosophy and structure as Joe Friel's. I used a Friel plan in 2006, but that doesn't really count because I didn't start training for cycling exclusively until April 2006. So this will be my first full year on an Friel-based structure.

The most significant changes from my 2008 and 2009 plans are:

  • A greater emphasis on macroperiodization -- base1, base2, et cetera as shown below.

  • An increase from 425 training hours per year to 505 training hours per year.

  • A greater emphasis on weekly microperiodization (rest weeks following work weeks).

  • Re-introduction of strength training. I lifted for 10 weeks in winter 2007/2008.

  • Strength maintenance work throughout the season.


By May I'll know once and for all if Friel's philosophy works.

1 Comment:

Greg Hanson said...

Robert,

I appreciate your willingness to post and open your training log...it is helpful to others as they build their plans...I raced last year for first full year and am trying to get more serious...Friel's resources are very helpful..... Good luck this Winter on your preparation for 2010season.

Greg